Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity is a values-based membership development organization that focuses on building brotherhood through character enhancement, leadership development, academic achievement, commitment to service, lifelong friendship and social experiences. The Fraternity believes that alcohol abuse prevents individual members from realizing their full potential as citizens and from exemplifying these characteristics of brotherhood.
While the moderate and legal consumption of alcohol, in and of itself, does not constitute a problem, the illegal use and abuse of alcoholic beverages is widely recognized as major problem in our society. Seeking to be a responsible member of the higher education community, Pi Kappa Phi is highly concerned about alcohol abuse. Our Fraternity believes very strongly in the betterment of men through our chapters. Our organization upholds the following philosophy specifically related to alcohol:
- The fraternity expects that our members follow state laws across the United States making consumption of alcohol illegal for people under 21 years of age.
- The fraternity supports and enhances the mission of the institutions where we are present through application of student development theory.
- As a subset of the campus community, the fraternity collaborates with the host institution to address the problem of alcohol misuse.
- The fraternity works to address the negative behaviors associated with alcohol misuse and abuse, and not simply the location of those behaviors. As such, Pi Kappa Phi addresses these behaviors with a comprehensive educational approach.
- Through education, training and mature adult guidance, we provide the tools to help students make good choices and to understand the consequences of their choices. The organization will hold chapters and individual chapter members accountable for the choices they make.
- The fraternity expects personal responsibility from its members and accountability through local self-governance.
- The fraternity follows a consistent and progressive discipline strategy with our chapters.
- We are concerned for the safety and well-being of our members.