Dr. Craig A. Winkelmann is an initiate and re-founding father of the Alpha Rho (West Virginia) Chapter. Initiated into Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity as a sophomore in 1978, Brother Winkelmann helped lead his chapter to success by serving as Warden during the time leading up to chartering. Following chartering, he went on to serve as Secretary, Treasurer, Vice Archon and Archon of Alpha Rho.
Now the owner of a successful dentistry practice in North Carolina, he understands the critical role the Fraternity played in his life and encourages deserving students interested in health care professions to leverage their own Pi Kappa Phi experience into a meaningful career.
Every spring, one student is selected for this scholarship. Special consideration is given to applicants from the Alpha Rho (West Virginia) Chapter; however, in the event that there are no applicants from Alpha Rho, equal consideration is given to those from other chapters.
Students who apply must be studying (or planning to study) medicine in the following fields: dentistry, osteopathic medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy and general medicine.
There is one recipient for this scholarship who will receive a $500 grant.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be an initiated member of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
- Be enrolled as a first-year graduate student in or a senior who has been accepted already into an accredited health professions program
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Submit a professional letter of recommendation
- Submit an acceptance letter to or proof of enrollment at an accredited health professions program
- Complete the entire application