Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity is a values-based membership development organization that focuses on building brotherhood through character enhancement, leadership development, academic achievement, commitment to service, lifelong friendship and social experiences. The Fraternity’s purpose and aim is to promote fellowship and mutual trust among its members, and Pi Kappa Phi fundamentally believes hazing prevents individual members and chapters from exemplifying these characteristics of brotherhood.
Striving to be a responsible member of the higher education community, Pi Kappa Phi is highly concerned about any activity that could be considered mentally, physically or emotionally unsafe. Our Fraternity believes very strongly in the betterment of men through our chapters. Our organization upholds the following philosophy specifically related to hazing:
- The fraternity is unequivocally opposed to all acts of hazing and expects our members to follow the laws across the United States that have made hazing illegal.
- As an organization founded on the principles of friendship, the fraternity expects that all members treat each other with dignity and respect, regardless of their membership classification or level of seniority within the organization.
- The fraternity supports and enhances the mission of the institutions where we are present through application of relevant student development theories.
- As a subset of the campus community, the fraternity collaborates with the host institution to address the problem of hazing.
- The fraternity works to address the underlying causes of hazing, and not simply the observable behaviors. As such, Pi Kappa Phi utilizes a comprehensive educational approach that reinforces the Fraternity’s concern for human dignity and mutual respect among its members.
- Through education, training and mature adult guidance, we provide the tools to help students make good choices and to understand the consequences of their choices. The organization will hold chapters and individual chapter members accountable for the choices they make.
- The fraternity expects personal responsibility from its members and accountability through local self governance within the boundaries established by Pi Kappa Phi’s Constitution, Supreme Laws and National Council policies.
- The fraternity follows a consistent and progressive discipline strategy with our chapters. When a member or subordinate chapter is unable to conform to the expectations of Pi Kappa Phi, however, the conduct process may determine that they should no longer share in the privilege of participating in the fraternity.
- We are concerned for the safety, well being and dignity of our members.