Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity

Alumni Group Banner

Starting an Alumni Group

Starting an alumni group may seem simple, but it can be a very complex process.  Regardless of what type of group you want to start (alumni chapter or housing  corporation), you should first answer this question: What will the organization work to accomplish and how will it work to benefit the fraternity? 

The initial administrative steps for starting an alumni group are listed below.  For questions or resources to assist you in this process contact our national staff at alumniservices@pikapp.org.  

Coordinate with the National Fraternity 

We need to complete the following to become recognized by the national fraternity:

  1. Submit updated bylaws for the organization. View an example 
  2. Submit a list of officers for the organization. View officer descriptions 
  3. Submit a petition with the names of at least 10 alumni who are willing to be involved. Download a petition  
  4. Collect and submit $100 for national dues and $50 for chartering

Coordinate with the Federal Government 

  1.  Complete an SS4 form and submit to the IRS. This will provide you with an Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  2. Fill out an IRS form 8718 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8718.pdf ) which you will then attach, along with your check for the application fee, and send to the IRS with the 1024 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1024.pdf ) as described in step 3.
  3. Complete a 1024 form and submit to the IRS. This will recognize you as a non-profit organization. You will check off 501 © 7 (social club). Not an 8 or 10 which deal with fraternal societies (trade unions, masons, etc.)
  4.  Complete Annual 990 filings with the IRS. This keeps you in compliance with the IRS each year. (There are major penalties for non-compliance.)

Coordinate with your State Government 

This differs from state to state, but you can visit your state’s Secretary of State website for more information.  This process is usually not too difficult, but is often expedited when we can recruit an attorney or C.P.A. who practices in the state to actually submit all of the information.