Our Philosophy Regarding Alcohol
Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity is a values-based
membership development organization that focuses on building brotherhood
through character enhancement, leadership development, academic achievement,
commitment to service, lifelong friendship and social experiences. The Fraternity believes that alcohol abuse
prevents individual members from realizing their full potential as citizens and
from exemplifying these characteristics of brotherhood.
While the moderate and legal consumption of alcohol, in and of itself,
does not constitute a problem, the illegal use and abuse of alcoholic beverages
is widely recognized as major problem in our society. Seeking to be a
responsible member of the higher education community, Pi Kappa Phi is highly
concerned about alcohol abuse. Our Fraternity believes very strongly in the
betterment of men through our chapters. Our organization upholds the following philosophy specifically related
- The fraternity expects that our members follow state laws across
the United States have made consumption of alcohol illegal
for people under 21 years of age.
- The fraternity supports and enhances the mission of the
institutions where we are present through application of student
- As a subset of the campus community, the fraternity collaborates
with the host institution to address the problem of alcohol misuse.
- The fraternity works to address the negative behaviors associated
with alcohol misuse and abuse, and not simply the location of those
behaviors. As such, Pi Kappa Phi
addresses these behaviors with a comprehensive educational approach.
- Through education, training, and mature adult guidance, we provide
the tools to help students make good choices, and to understand the
consequences of their choices. The
organization will hold chapters and individual chapter members accountable
for the choices they make.
- The fraternity expects personal responsibility from its members
and accountability through local self governance.
- The fraternity follows a consistent and progressive discipline
strategy with our chapters.
- We are concerned for the safety and well being of our members.